Andrew Overholt (overholt(a)redhat.com) said:
* Bill Nottingham <notting(a)redhat.com> [2009-05-05 13:44]:
> The comps file does not have arch-specific bits, so doing gcj on
> non-x86 and openjdk on x86 isn't really practical, without a lot
> of metapackages.
Any idea whey Stepan is seeing different "java-devel" packages being
picked on different arches in koji?
Oh, you meant litereally 'yum install java-devel', not 'yum groupinstall
Given multiple providers of java-devel, this is determined by
compare_providers in yum (depsolve.py, if you want to read it). This
algorithm computes a score for the providers of java-devel, based
on the following:
1) whether one obsoletes the other
2) given the requesting package, whether the arch matches
3) given the requesting package, whether it comes from the same source RPM
4) given the requesting package, whether it shares a common name prefig
5) shorter name preferred
If you're just going from the command line, the first four won't show
a difference, so you're likely to get #5, shortest name.