We discussed in the infra meeting last week (15 Oct) planning a workday
for apprentices (such as myself). Apprentices can work together in teams
via screenshare or separately with guidance from masters on various
apprentice tasks, with the goal being to sharpen our apprentice skills
and knock out some tickets as well.
Participation is open to anyone active in the fi-apprentice group (or
any other FIG for that matter.) If you have been hesitant or unsure
where to get started, this will be a great opportunity to roll your
sleeves up and get going.
We did not discuss a particular agenda for the day, so I am listing some
ideas to get started with below. Please feel free to send your own
suggestions, questions, etc.
Apprentice Things to do before Apprentice workday;
- Check your ssh access if you haven't logged in lately (i.e. after the
lockbox -> batcave transition)
- Log in to the Nagios page https://admin.fedoraproject.org/nagios-external
- Review (or read) the Community Services Infrastructure Security Policy
- Pull down a local copy of the ansible and infra-docs cgit
- Read the ansible docs at http://docs.ansible.com/
then set up ansible
on your local machine or server of your choice
- If it's been awhile, drop in to #fedora-admin or #fedora-noc
Apprentice Things to do on Apprentice workday;
- Update group variables in ansible for CSI standards for machines that
don't have any listed. Look at the ansible repo under
inventory/group_vars/ for groups without CSI information.
- Propose patches to update doc templates
- Work on an Easy Fix Ticket
Master Things to do before Apprentice workday;
- Triage some tickets to make them easier/easyfix
- Think of other resources for apprentices to review
- Consider a topic for a lightning chat (or other format) to give on
Master Things to do on Apprentice workday;
- Generally be available in irc
- Give a brief education chat in irc
Questions for the group;
- Should we set up screen shares?
- Maybe https://github.com/yudai/gotty
as an idea
- Should apprentices/masters rsvp so we know who is coming/hours?
- Any other announcements we should send out?