(Note that this was orignally submitted for Fedora 28)
== Summary ==
Update the MPFR package to version 4.0.2.
== Owner ==
* Name: [[User:jamesturner246| James Paul Turner]]
* Email: jamesturner246(a)fedoraproject.org
* Name: [[User:jjames| Jerry James]]
* Email: loganjerry(a)gmail.com
== Detailed Description ==
The purpose of this change is to update the Fedora MPFR package to the
latest version (4.0.2), released on the 31st January 2019. Due to a
soname bump, this change will rebuild all packages that depend on
== Benefit to Fedora ==
The MPFR team have released many optimisations, bugfixes and features
since the current version (3.1.6), released back on the 7th September
2017. This change will allow several important Fedora packages,
including the GCC, to take advantage of this.
Refer to http://www.mpfr.org/mpfr-4.0.0/#changes
for the complete list of
== Scope ==
* Proposal owners:
** Rebuild of packages that depend on MPFR
** Minor specfile corrections and testing
* Other developers:
** Testing and/or minor fixes of dependant packages
* Release engineering: [https://pagure.io/releng/issue/7247
** Separate Koji tag for package rebuild will be needed.
of deliverables]]: N/A (not needed for this Change)
* Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
== Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
All existing user binaries built against MPFR 3.1.6 will need to be
rebuilt against MPFR 4.0.2.
== How To Test ==
* No special hardware / data / etc. is needed.
* To test, install mpfr-4.0.2, then rebuild and test existing user binaries.
* Try to locally rebuild your packages with mpfr-4.0.2.
* Report failures and other problems to us.
== User Experience ==
The MPFR dependent packages should behave as they did with mpfr-3.1.6.
== Dependencies ==
dnf repoquery --whatrequires mpfr
== Contingency Plan ==
*Contingency mechanism: We would like to get a special buildroot tag
to be able to rebuild necessary the packages with mpfr-4.0.2. If
anything goes wrong, the tag can be easily dropped, and previous
version of mpfr-3.1.6 and its dependencies stays intact. The tag would
be merged into F32 after everything is rebuilt.
* Contingency deadline: Mass Rebuild
* Blocks release? No
* Blocks product? No
== Documentation ==
Documentation can be found upstream at http://www.mpfr.org/mpfr-4.0.2
He / Him / His
Fedora Program Manager