On 17.10.2008 16:10, Kyle McMartin wrote:
On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 08:03:39AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 06:33:49AM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
>> Anyone planning to respin the F-9 kernel with a .27 base? Webcams! :)
> I'd recommend waiting until at least the first batch of -stable patches
> is released.
Which BTW are being prepared right now ("Responses should be made by
Sat, October 18, 18:00:00 UTC.").
We're going to wait until F-8 is EOL before doing that in F-9.
EOL for F8 is round about around Christmas afaics. I suppose nobody
wants to do such a big update right before the holidays. Thus it might
get delayed until early January; even more due to the time in
updates-testing. 2.6.28 by then will be in its final stages or might be
IOW: The plan sounds quite odd to me. Even worse: Users will get quite
confused -- they are used to getting new major kernels as regular Fedora
update round about 2-4 weeks after upstream released them.
So why not push 2.6.27 for F9 soon? Chances are good that by putting it
in updates-testing for F9 soon we'll find some bugs in 2.6.27 that we
can fix in both F9 and rawhide -- thus the kernel for F10 will get in
better shape for release.
Just my 2 cent.