If you have looked at the git repo lately you may have noticed a big
restructure. We had many sub-packages in beaker that all had their own
way of doing things. I found some great Makefile rules from another
Fedora project called python-slip. These help with git, scm, python,
rpmspecs, etc.. So I modified our Makefiles to take advantage of them.
This let us stop using python setup.py sdist as a way to build our
source archive. This was just a bad idea and created lots of problems.
So what do we have now?
At the top level we have a common spec file called beaker.spec which
lists the following sub-packages:
beaker-server - This used to be medusa-server
beaker-lab-controller - This used to be medusa-lab-controller
beaker-client - This is our client interface to
beaker-server. This relies on python-kobo which isn't released quite yet.
beaker-lib - This used to be rhtslib.
All of these can be built from the top level directory with the
make archive <- This will check that you don't have any outstanding
Also checks for any incoming changes from master
Pushes changes to master
Tags based on version in beaker.spec
Finally creates a tarball using the
make srpm/rpm <- Just like before it will build an SRPM or RPM.
make push <- This will push the archive to fedorahosted.org
For local development in-between releases you can use snaparchive
instead of archive and it will only make an archive local without
tagging or pushing to master. This is good for verifying things work
I've removed any reference to medusa in the repo, Everything will be
referenced by beaker. The scheduler components in Logan will be merged
into server. More on that in another email.
Email me if you have any questions!
- Tested with cobbler 1.6.3
- Switched expire and update scripts to use native python bindings
again, now that cobbler is fast again.
- Tested s390 support, yay it works.
- Associate kickstarts in update script, this allows for different
kickstart template for rhel5client vs rhel5server.
- Implemented CSV Export/Import for Systems, Excluded Families,
InstallOptions, KeyValues, LabIno, SystemGroups and UserGroups.
- Implemented scsidevices and ethdevices. Along with nostorage and
noprobe allows for shared storage to work in Beaker.
- Automated system selection is now sorted by the following criteria:
First you get systems that you are the owner of
Second you get systems that you have access to via group membership
Finally any other systems that are shared to everyone.
This should keep the general pool of systems free
- Only Admins are allowed to share systems to the general pool, all
others must add a system to a group first.
- Simple search on main page allows quick searching on fqdn.
- Added arch to main page as well
- Added shortcut to types search on left menu
- Implemented per family snippets for main kickstart, %pre and %post.
Plans for May
- Get proper kerberos working in xmlrpc interface
- Continue testing beaker in beaker.
- Look at the scheduler again.
I have finally edited the SetupHOWTO wiki on beaker.
I had to fix a few problems with beaker itself before I could complete
the howto. Thats my excuse anyway. ;-)
Please check it out and let me know if it works for you. I'll be
updating it and adding to it. I also attached the scripts I'm using
internally to test beaker. Hopefully soon we will be to the point where
beaker can test beaker. :-) In the mean time if the HOWTO doesn't work
for you you can look at my test rpm to see how it should work.