[SSSD] Should we have a github r/o mirror for SSSD?

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 11:47:03 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 02:33:09PM +0300, Nikolai Kondrashov wrote:
> On 06/15/2015 10:32 AM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> >See this message on sssd-users:
> >     https://lists.fedorahosted.org/pipermail/sssd-users/2015-June/003078.html
> >
> >For better or worse, many users expect a project (any project..) to be
> >on github or else it doesn't exist. Should we have some kind of
> >automated read-only repository on github.com with readme.md pointing to
> >fedorapeople.org to avoid the confusion?
>
> The thing is, how do we specify it's the official one?

Updating the repo regularly would be a good start. All the repos that are
on github at the moment are outdated.

The readme might help as well.

> There is no way to mark
> all others as forks of ours after the fact. And there is no way to force them
> to have that README.md which links to the official repo.

Yeah, that's fine and I guess inevitable with git being decentralized.

> There is already an "sssd" user on GitHub. If it belongs to us, then we can
> convert it to an "organization" [1] and put our repo there, so it will have
> this URL:
>
>     https://github.com/sssd/sssd
>
> That can help it stand out and perhaps it will let us show up on top of search
> results. That might be enough.

I have no idea who that user belongs to, but yes, this would be best.

> However, once we're on GitHub, people will start submitting pull requests and
> issues there. Are we prepared to handle that?

Could those two be simply disabled, pointing the users to our Trac?

The only problem I'm trying to solve is user searching for source on
github, not finding it and giving up completely.

I don't have any hard data, but I suspect this is becoming more and more
common. Especially after Google Code Search and Google Code shut down.