[SSSD] Should we have a github r/o mirror for SSSD?

Nikolai Kondrashov Nikolai.Kondrashov at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 11:33:09 UTC 2015

On 06/15/2015 10:32 AM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> See this message on sssd-users:
>      https://lists.fedorahosted.org/pipermail/sssd-users/2015-June/003078.html
>
> For better or worse, many users expect a project (any project..) to be
> on github or else it doesn't exist. Should we have some kind of
> automated read-only repository on github.com with readme.md pointing to
> fedorapeople.org to avoid the confusion?

The thing is, how do we specify it's the official one? There is no way to mark
all others as forks of ours after the fact. And there is no way to force them
to have that README.md which links to the official repo.

There is already an "sssd" user on GitHub. If it belongs to us, then we can
convert it to an "organization" [1] and put our repo there, so it will have
this URL:

     https://github.com/sssd/sssd

That can help it stand out and perhaps it will let us show up on top of search
results. That might be enough.

However, once we're on GitHub, people will start submitting pull requests and
issues there. Are we prepared to handle that?

Nick

[1] https://help.github.com/articles/converting-a-user-into-an-organization/