[SSSD] Should we have a github r/o mirror for SSSD?

Nikolai Kondrashov Nikolai.Kondrashov at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 11:58:54 UTC 2015

On 06/15/2015 02:47 PM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 02:33:09PM +0300, Nikolai Kondrashov wrote:
>> On 06/15/2015 10:32 AM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
>>> See this message on sssd-users:
>>>      https://lists.fedorahosted.org/pipermail/sssd-users/2015-June/003078.html
>>>
>>> For better or worse, many users expect a project (any project..) to be
>>> on github or else it doesn't exist. Should we have some kind of
>>> automated read-only repository on github.com with readme.md pointing to
>>> fedorapeople.org to avoid the confusion?
>>
>> The thing is, how do we specify it's the official one?
>
> Updating the repo regularly would be a good start. All the repos that are
> on github at the moment are outdated.

Maybe, but I'm not sure it will help us move up the search results.

>> There is already an "sssd" user on GitHub. If it belongs to us, then we can
>> convert it to an "organization" [1] and put our repo there, so it will have
>> this URL:
>>
>>      https://github.com/sssd/sssd
>>
>> That can help it stand out and perhaps it will let us show up on top of search
>> results. That might be enough.
>
> I have no idea who that user belongs to, but yes, this would be best.

Ah, that doesn't sound so good. We'de better clear that up.

>> However, once we're on GitHub, people will start submitting pull requests and
>> issues there. Are we prepared to handle that?
>
> Could those two be simply disabled, pointing the users to our Trac?

Issues can be disabled. Pull requests can't. We can make a bot closing any new
pull requests with a polite redirection to the maillist. Yet, a refusal to
accept a contribution is still a refusal.

> The only problem I'm trying to solve is user searching for source on
> github, not finding it and giving up completely.
>
> I don't have any hard data, but I suspect this is becoming more and more
> common. Especially after Google Code Search and Google Code shut down.

Yeah, this might be a bit of a problem.

Nick