[SSSD] message "Could not reconnect to LDAP provider"

Franky Van Liedekerke liedekef at telenet.be
Thu Aug 23 09:24:55 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-23 11:18, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:07:31AM +0200, Franky Van Liedekerke
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just had a weird situation: one of my servers suddenly no longer
>> allowed me to log in (pam auth via sssd).
>> Looking in the log for sssd, I had this message once every minute:
>>
>> [sssd[pam]] [pam_dp_reconnect_init] (0): Could not reconnect to LDAP
>> provider.
>>
>> Also, "getent passwd" no longer showed any ldap users.
>> Everything seemed correct, also the ldap servers, so I just
>> restarted the sssd daemon and all was well again.
>> Shouldn't the retry options of sssd just do that?
>> I have this as sssd config (obfuscated a bit):
>>

> Most likely this means the Data Provider had crashed.  Can you check
> syslog
> for messages that would indicate a crash?
>
> The Data Provider should have respawned and the PAM Provider should
> have
> reconnected, though..I just ran a quick-n-dirty test locally, killed
> the
> sssb_be process and the sssd_pam reconnected fine for me..
>
> Unfortunately it seems that debugging is completely off according to
> your config file, I assume that there is nothing interesting in
> /var/log/sssd/*.log ?

In sssd_pam, I have these messages starting from Aug 19 (every minute):

(Sun Aug 19 05:09:28 2012) [sssd[pam]] [pam_dp_reconnect_init] (0):
Could not reconnect to LDAP provider.

but in syslog I only have this one line from Aug 20:

Aug 20 16:46:45 bqsma0001ap sssd[be[LDAP]]: LDAP connection error:
(null)

For the rest there's no log (since of course it's a prod system). Is
there a logging level I can safely set that will not fill my partition?
Also, for completeness: version sssd-1.5.1-66.el6_2.3.x86_64 on CentOS
6.2. Maybe some patch after that version fixed it, since 1.8 is already
released.

Franky