[SSSD] message "Could not reconnect to LDAP provider"

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Thu Aug 23 11:24:02 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:24:55AM +0200, Franky Van Liedekerke wrote:
> On 2012-08-23 11:18, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> >On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:07:31AM +0200, Franky Van Liedekerke
> >wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I just had a weird situation: one of my servers suddenly no longer
> >>allowed me to log in (pam auth via sssd).
> >>Looking in the log for sssd, I had this message once every minute:
> >>
> >>[sssd[pam]] [pam_dp_reconnect_init] (0): Could not reconnect to LDAP
> >>provider.
> >>
> >>Also, "getent passwd" no longer showed any ldap users.
> >>Everything seemed correct, also the ldap servers, so I just
> >>restarted the sssd daemon and all was well again.
> >>Shouldn't the retry options of sssd just do that?
> >>I have this as sssd config (obfuscated a bit):
> >>

> >Most likely this means the Data Provider had crashed.  Can you
> >check syslog
> >for messages that would indicate a crash?
> >
> >The Data Provider should have respawned and the PAM Provider
> >should have
> >reconnected, though..I just ran a quick-n-dirty test locally,
> >killed the
> >sssb_be process and the sssd_pam reconnected fine for me..
> >
> >Unfortunately it seems that debugging is completely off according to
> >your config file, I assume that there is nothing interesting in
> >/var/log/sssd/*.log ?
>
> In sssd_pam, I have these messages starting from Aug 19 (every minute):
>
> (Sun Aug 19 05:09:28 2012) [sssd[pam]] [pam_dp_reconnect_init] (0):
> Could not reconnect to LDAP provider.
>
> but in syslog I only have this one line from Aug 20:
>
> Aug 20 16:46:45 bqsma0001ap sssd[be[LDAP]]: LDAP connection error:
> (null)

Ah, I was really expecting that the system would report that sssd_be
crashed. In general, running abrtd should catch all the crashes without
admin intervention.

> For the rest there's no log (since of course it's a prod system). Is
> there a logging level I can safely set that will not fill my
> partition?

debug_level = 6 or maybe 7 (1.5.x doesn't support the new hexa debug levels
yet) might be a good start.

I wouldn't worry too much about the logs filling the partition up, the
SSSD ships with a logrotate file and only level 9 gets really really
noisy.

> Also, for completeness: version sssd-1.5.1-66.el6_2.3.x86_64 on
> CentOS 6.2. Maybe some patch after that version fixed it, since 1.8
> is already released.

Hmm, the bug I had in mind initially (#743841) was already fixed in the
version you are running. The 1.8 branch has quite a few fixes and
enhancements, I can recommend an upgrade from 1.5.x on a RHEL6 system.