[SSSD] message "Could not reconnect to LDAP provider"

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Thu Aug 23 09:18:31 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:07:31AM +0200, Franky Van Liedekerke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just had a weird situation: one of my servers suddenly no longer
> allowed me to log in (pam auth via sssd).
> Looking in the log for sssd, I had this message once every minute:
>
> [sssd[pam]] [pam_dp_reconnect_init] (0): Could not reconnect to LDAP
> provider.
>
> Also, "getent passwd" no longer showed any ldap users.
> Everything seemed correct, also the ldap servers, so I just
> restarted the sssd daemon and all was well again.
> Shouldn't the retry options of sssd just do that?
> I have this as sssd config (obfuscated a bit):

Most likely this means the Data Provider had crashed.  Can you check syslog
for messages that would indicate a crash?

The Data Provider should have respawned and the PAM Provider should have
reconnected, though..I just ran a quick-n-dirty test locally, killed the
sssb_be process and the sssd_pam reconnected fine for me..

Unfortunately it seems that debugging is completely off according to
your config file, I assume that there is nothing interesting in
/var/log/sssd/*.log ?