[SSSD] questions about SSSD options

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Wed May 19 12:57:12 UTC 2010

On 05/19/2010 08:33 AM, David O'Brien wrote:
> 1. In the option "ldap_opt_timeout", where does the "opt" come from? Is
> it just short for "option"?

It comes from the LDAP API call to set options. I'm not sure we
necessarily want to document this, as it's pretty low-level. Really all
it does is set how long we can wait for a blocking openldap operation
(like SASL bind)

> 2. A question arose today about how to determine which options are
> mandatory and which are not in any given SSSD config. I've since found a
> few cases where "optional" is included as part of the description in the
> man page. Is this the determining factor? e.g.,
> - ldap_group_search_base (string)
>      An optional base DN to restrict group searches to a specific subtree.
>
> What about:
> - ldap_user_home_directory (string)
>      The LDAP attribute that contains the name of the userĀ“s home directory.
>
> Does this mean all users always have a home dir? (This might be true
> anyway, but it might be a case of "if not /home/davido then HOMEDIR=
> /somewhere".)
>
> That's it for this email.
> Thanks

The manpages really aren't clear on this, and that should probably be a
doc bug itself.

Currently, the canonical way to determine this would be to look at
sssd-1.1.92/src/config/etc/sssd.api.conf and
sssd-1.1.92/src/config/etc/sssd.api.d/*.conf

The third argument after the equals sign defines whether it's mandatory.

(Yes, this is not ideal)

--
Stephen Gallagher
RHCE 804006346421761