[SSSD] questions about SSSD options

David O'Brien davido at redhat.com
Thu May 20 02:49:47 UTC 2010

Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On 05/19/2010 08:33 AM, David O'Brien wrote:
>> 1. In the option "ldap_opt_timeout", where does the "opt" come from? Is
>> it just short for "option"?
>
> It comes from the LDAP API call to set options. I'm not sure we
> necessarily want to document this, as it's pretty low-level. Really all
> it does is set how long we can wait for a blocking openldap operation
> (like SASL bind)

The only reason it's in this particular list of documented options is
for completeness, where I added the three timeout options available for
configuring an LDAP domain. It's touch and go at the moment whether it
remains.

>> 2. A question arose today about how to determine which options are
>> mandatory and which are not in any given SSSD config. I've since found a
>> few cases where "optional" is included as part of the description in the
>> man page. Is this the determining factor? e.g.,
>> - ldap_group_search_base (string)
>>      An optional base DN to restrict group searches to a specific subtree.
>>
>> What about:
>> - ldap_user_home_directory (string)
>>      The LDAP attribute that contains the name of the userĀ“s home directory.
>>
>> Does this mean all users always have a home dir? (This might be true
>> anyway, but it might be a case of "if not /home/davido then HOMEDIR=
>> /somewhere".)
>>
>> That's it for this email.
>> Thanks
>>

> The manpages really aren't clear on this, and that should probably be a
> doc bug itself.
>
> Currently, the canonical way to determine this would be to look at
> sssd-1.1.92/src/config/etc/sssd.api.conf and
> sssd-1.1.92/src/config/etc/sssd.api.d/*.conf
>
> The third argument after the equals sign defines whether it's mandatory.
>
> (Yes, this is not ideal)

ok, thanks for that. I'll go through this and see what I come up with.

--

David O'Brien
Senior Technical Writer, Engineering Content Services

"We couldn't care less about comfort. We make you feel good."
Federico Minoli CEO Ducati Motor S.p.A.