What is the status of software collections?

Andrew Ford A.Ford at ford-mason.co.uk
Wed Nov 7 15:22:51 UTC 2012

Hi Marcela

I have taken the perl514 SRPMs and rebuilt them on CentOS 6.3 with no
problems.  I then tried to rebuild on CentOS 5.8 (literally about 15
minutes ago), but ran up against a number of issues due probably to the
differences between rpm 4.8 that RHEL6 uses and 4.4 that RHEL5 uses.
Things like:

    /home/aford/rpms/SOURCES/filter-requires.sh: line 2:
%{__perl_requires}: command not found

I'll see what I can do with these errors, but I would also be very
interested to see perl 5.16 working.

I have found spec2scl and will try it out with some CPAN and unpublished
modules.  I also found the Developer Toolset documentation.

It is all very interesting.

Andrew

Marcela Mašláňová wrote:
> On 11/07/2012 12:38 PM, Andrew Ford wrote:
>> I have just discovered software collections, having stumbled across
>> Jindrich Novy's "RHEL Packaging" presentation and the Fedora/RHEL
>> "Software Collections Guide" manual.  I had been trying to package up
>> non-system versions of Perl and CPAN modules for work, using a very
>> similar approach to scl.  I would like to recommend that we adopt
>> software collections, but apart from a flurry of activity in the middle
>> of the year, everything has gone quiet.  Is this a technology that has a
>> future?
>>
>> Regards
>> Andrew
>>

> Hi Andrew,
> Fedora didn't allow scl packages in their repositories, I'd like to
> see our rpms at least in EPEL. We have set of our personal
> repositories for testing:
> https://fedorahosted.org/SoftwareCollections/
> We are still working on packaging of many things and solving bugs in
> scl-utils. We'd like to provide users easy packaging and easy usage.
>
> I admit missing news about collections on this list are my fault. I'll
> try to do monthly summary of improvements&news.
>
> Perl packaging is also my problem. I'm trying build perl 5.16.2 for
> RHEL-5 and RHEL-6. It doesn't work well because of number of
> provides/requires, which must be manually filtered. If you are
> packaging modules from cpan, you might be interested in spec2scl,
> which can generate scl spec from valid specfile.
>
> The technology was used for Developer Toolset (gcc, valgring and rest
> of toolchain), which is available in Developers Suite and some other
> products.
>
> Marcela

Andrew Ford