AS is killed if the agent is killed (provided it was started/restarted by the agent)

Jiri Kremser jkremser at redhat.com
Thu Feb 14 18:39:55 UTC 2013

> If this happens when you run the agent using the recommended mechanism (rhq-agent-wrapper.sh) then I agree this is a problem. If this is true, we need to know this and fix it.
> So, if someone starts the agent via rhq-agent-wrapper.sh, that agent starts an AS7, the user then stops that agent, does the AS7 die? If so, that's a problem.

Neither sending the SIGINT to the agent started by rhq-agent-wrapper.sh nor sending the SIGKILL stops the AS7. Because the rhq-wrapper is separated from the agent

> That is not the same thing. You are executing the code within the shell.
> You are not forking a process. Only creating a child shell within the
> running shell. If that is what we are doing, then that seems to be the
> flaw.

I think it is the same as what we do in our environment. The only way of forking a process in bash is the & as far as I know, we don't have any C code doing fork().

> All processes that have been forked from their parent will not receive
signals from their parent.

agree, or if the signals are intercepted by traps or a signal handlers (for JVM).

There is a JVM option -Xnosigchain for disabling the JVM signal handler chaining on IBM JVM, on the Oracle's JVM there is -Xrs option for that. I wouldn't do that. It would disable our ShutdownHookMechanism.

Other option is to implement our own SignalHandler (http://pastebin.test.redhat.com/127934). I am playing with it right now.

jk

. The default signal handler can be replaced
IBM java specific, for oracle there is -Xrs

not good idea