Out of band signaling from agent/plugin to server / user

Ian Springer ian.springer at redhat.com
Fri May 11 14:43:13 UTC 2012

I also think the activation policy enum needs to be redesigned.

public enum ActivationPolicy {
     IMMEDIATE, RESTART, SHUTDOWN
}

Does RESTART refer to the managed resource or to the server process?
What is SHUTDOWN supposed to mean? Here's what I would change it to:

public enum ActivationPolicy {
   /** this managed resource needs to be restarted in order for the
change to take effect */
   MANAGED_RESOURCE_RESTART_REQUIRED,
   /** the server process needs to be restarted in order for the change
to take effect */
   PROCESS_RESTART_REQUIRED
}

I would get rid of IMMEDIATE, and just interpret a null value for
PropertyDefinition.activationPolicy as "the change will go into effect
immediately".