RHQ Release - master Branch Open

Simeon Pinder spinder at redhat.com
Tue Feb 28 15:29:09 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

A worthy goal but as your experience here would support there is always at least one problem somewhere and some iteration that is necessary.  A branch gives you the isolation necessary to do or not do release iterations if need be and the other N developers on the team are not impacted.  Hands off or not we should take steps to anticipate the unexpected environment(hudson/brew) or code hiccups that do occur.  Think of it as insurance.

> run the release script and let it take care of everything. Having
> confidence in the stability of code based on existing builds, I knew
> that master will not be locked for more than just a few hours.
> Overall, I think this was a success because the branch was blocked
> for under 5 hours; and it could have been even half of that time if
> I did not have to fix a small issue in the release script.
Why not just build the branching into the release script early on?  I'm not a fan of code freezes if we don't need them because you can't be sure that everyone got the messages and then inevitably you have a developer or two who is asking are we still in code freeze.  Throw in some timezone differences and it gets trickier.  Since we're in git and branching is so cheap I think we should just do the branching early on.  Minimizing code freezes supports the 'commit early and often practice'.  Automated or not it's a cheap way to keep the code flowing and the release isolated from unintentional commits. Win win imo.