RHQ Release - master Branch Open

Stefan Negrea snegrea at redhat.com
Tue Feb 28 14:46:40 UTC 2012

Hello Simeon,

I actually did this on purpose yesterday. Primarily because I think we need to have a release process that is hands-off. My idea is to run the release script and let it take care of everything. Having confidence in the stability of code based on existing builds, I knew that master will not be locked for more than just a few hours. Overall, I think this was a success because the branch was blocked for under 5 hours; and it could have been even half of that time if I did not have to fix a small issue in the release script.

I totally agree with your strategy (branching manually ahead of time to have the original branch open for commits) but only if the release process would block the original branch for a longer period of time.

Thank you,
Stefan Negrea