new refresh button (?)

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Tue Mar 29 17:20:12 UTC 2011

On 03/29/2011 12:55 PM, Alan Santos wrote:

> Just my opinion:  Any additional RHQ refresh button seems redundant with the intent of 'F5'/the browser refresh button and adds more noise to the UI. I'd agree with Charles' characterization of it as a crutch.

Doing a full F5 refresh (and this is true for any GWT app as I
understand it) will actually download the entire javascript app itself
and resubmit all requests for that URL. This I wanted to avoid since
that is much more than just AJAX-y refreshing. I want the refresh to be
fast, a full F5 is not as fast due to the fact it must first refresh the
javascript app and then build up the full DOM again and then ask for the
data. That is the nature of F5 refresh and it isn't what I want.

>> not really to replace F5 - we don't want to refresh the entire
>> javascript client app
>
> But it sounds like the only reason you want to add this is as a band-aid - i.e. to fix another, harder bug.

It is more than one bug. I'm sure there are a lot of cases where doing
something in the right side requires us to force a left-side refresh and
we aren't doing it. We should go through the code and try to force
refreshes where necessary. So, yes, having this would be a band-aid in
the case where the product is out in the field and it turns out we
missed one of those cases and a person wants to refresh (I'm willing to
bet a dollar we will release with at least one of those types of bugs
:). F5 is too harsh a solution... see my above comment.

>> I'm leaning towards safety - when in doubt, provide a way to refresh
>> WITHOUT requiring a full F5 refresh
>
> But that's what f5 is for.

Well, not if all I want to do is just quickly refresh the AJAX-y data
fields in my UI, I do NOT want to completely refresh the entire page nor
refresh the entire javascript app itself (which is slower). I JUST want
the portions of the page that have dynamic data to be AJAX refreshed.

You have to play with the app to see what I'm talking about wrt F5
versus the "refresh" button. For example, just go to the Inventory>All
Resources page.. click the table's refresh button at the bottom, then
click F5 and see the difference.

>> (which now requires you to answer
>> "yes" to the popup dialog asking you to "leave RHQ" and then completely
>> reloads the javascript app and then reloads all the data).
>
> Sounds like another bug - at least a usability bug.

If you are referring to the popup, that's a question we need to answer.
Do we want to keep the confirmation dialog when F5'ing, closing or
leaving the RHQ tab in the browser? I'm leaning towards getting rid of it.