new refresh button (?)

Alan Santos asantos at redhat.com
Tue Mar 29 21:57:05 UTC 2011

On 03/29/2011 01:20 PM, John Mazzitelli wrote:
> So, yes, having this would be a band-aid in the case where the product
> is out in the field and it turns out we missed one of those cases and
> a person wants to refresh. F5 is too harsh a solution... see my above
> comment.

I understand this, but you're adding a prominent feature that's arguably
redundant and increases the noise in the UI. Importantly, it's
addressing an exception with a non-exceptional (i.e. non-edge case)
solution. I don't know if I've stated my concern clearly or not.

Here's the other concern - Does an *application* focused refreshed (i.e.
this) button give users the impression that it updates something other
than the *client*? e.g.  'Does that button run server discovery?' 'Does
it check resource availability?'  'Does it pull any agent info that
isn't available on the server?'

> Sounds like another bug - at least a usability bug.
> If you are referring to the popup, that's a question we need to answer.
> Do we want to keep the confirmation dialog when F5'ing, closing or
> leaving the RHQ tab in the browser? I'm leaning towards getting rid of it.

Again - my opinion - I dislike the 'leaving' popup.  I've (probably)
never hit f5 by accident. If I remember correctly, I hit that dialog
everytime I try to navigate away.  I don't think I'm unusual in this regard.