I18N, message bundles and I18Nlog

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Wed May 26 09:05:23 UTC 2010

Hi,

we just got a contribution of brazilian (protuguese) installer messages - which is in
.properties format, as "normal" java message bundles are.

We are using I18Nlog with the annotated Interface as input

   @I18NMessages( { @I18NMessage(locale = "en", value = "Create a database/user if needed"),
       @I18NMessage(locale = "de", value = "DB mit -benutzer anlegen, falls nötig") })
   String CREATE_DATABASE_NOTE = "createDatabaseNote";

Which would require every contributor to add new translation to this file, which sounds more and more
impractical.

Also I've contacted transiflex.net that allows independent translators to translate stuff.
Transiflex will very probably offer .properties files soon (at the moment they only offer .po
files).

So I propose to move all message bundle .properties files out of the I18NInterface
into .properties files that reside in normal git ( one could leave the english ones and
recreate the base .properties file after changes of the interface ) so that it will be
easier for translators to add a new language or update existing files.

 Heiko

--
Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Otto-Hahn-Strasse 20, 85609 Dornach bei München
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht München HRB 153243