Question on lmicc and guests

Tomáš Smetana tsmetana at redhat.com
Mon Oct 6 14:27:06 UTC 2014

On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 09:25:09 -0400
Russell Doty <rdoty at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-10-06 at 13:38 +0200, Tomáš Smetana wrote:
> > On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 14:51:16 -0400
> > Russell Doty <rdoty at redhat.com> wrote:
<...>
> My understanding is that with the default VM configuration, which uses a
> network bridge, this is the expected behavior. The way around it is to
> configure a software switch instead of a bridge, which I haven't learned
> how to do...

I suppose you use a libvirt managed virtualization: By default libvirt uses
NATed configuration and it actually already configured the "software switch"
for you: it appears as an isolated bridge device (virbr0 if you haven't
changed anything).

Libvirt even runs a private DHCP server for your machines and creates a
private network for your local VMs. Those are then accessible in a "standard
way" -- they appear as other computers on the network.  Just start up a VM and
run for example 'arp'.  You should see some IP addresses having the libvirt
bridge device (the "switch") as the default interface: those are your VMs
probably.  Take a look at http://libvirt.org/formatnetwork.html to figure out
how to e.g. configure the networking.

> I'm using myself as a naive test subject.
>
> Should I file a TRAC ticket to allow managing guests on the same system
> as the interactive user? There are probably several ways to do this. I
> suspect pointers on how to configure host/guest networking is what is
> needed.

Please don't.

Managing guests through something else than ethernet was already discussed
(tunnelling pegasus socket through VirtIO serial) and dismissed...

Regards,
--
Tomáš Smetana
Platform Engineering, Red Hat