Question on lmicc and guests

Russell Doty rdoty at redhat.com
Mon Oct 6 13:25:09 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-10-06 at 13:38 +0200, Tomáš Smetana wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 14:51:16 -0400
> Russell Doty <rdoty at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to use lmicc with guests? You don't have direct network
> > access to guests on the same system, which means you can't use lmicc
> > with local guests.
> >
> > I'd like to be able to demo OpenLMI and lmicc on a laptop, both
> > localhost and guests.
>
> Hi,
>   it's actually quite odd not to have a network interface from host to
> guest... And LMICC won't be able to do any remote management of a system not
> on a network.  We don't have any other channel from host to guest.
My understanding is that with the default VM configuration, which uses a
network bridge, this is the expected behavior. The way around it is to
configure a software switch instead of a bridge, which I haven't learned
how to do...

I'm using myself as a naive test subject.

Should I file a TRAC ticket to allow managing guests on the same system
as the interactive user? There are probably several ways to do this. I
suspect pointers on how to configure host/guest networking is what is
needed.