A provider for publishing Management Controller (Service Processor) information

Klaus Kaempf kkaempf at suse.de
Fri Nov 15 17:29:22 UTC 2013

* Praveen_Paladugu at Dell.com <Praveen_Paladugu at Dell.com> [Nov 14. 2013 20:17]:
> Incorporating Russ's inputs and some updates. Here is the udpated version of the MOF file.

Find my Comments embedded.

> [Description("Model an Out of Band Management Controller and capture its features and capabilities")]
> class LMI_BMC : CIM_ManagementController
> {
>
>     [Description("This variable, should always capture the latest IP address of BMC.")]
>     string IPAddress;

Please indicate the IP version. Maybe we need two IP address
properties ?
     string IP4Address;
     string IP6Address;

Same for set_IPAddress ;-)

>     [Description("The VLAN setting on the BMC NIC port.")]
>     string VLAN;
>
>     [Description("The MAC address of the BMC.")]
>     string PermanentMACAddress;
>
>     string BMC_URL;

All properties should have a description.

>     [Description("Function to assign a new IP address to BMC."
>     "If the operation of setting the IP Address succeeds, return 0"
>     "If IPMI command fails , return 1"
>     "If the provided input is not a valid IP address, return 2"
>     )]
>     uint32  set_IPAddress(
>                 [IN, Description ("Set the IP address of the BMC, to the input value")]
>                 string Input_IP,
>                 [IN, Description ("Set the netmask to this input value")]
>                 string Input_Netmask,
>                 [IN, Description ("Set the gateway on BMC to this input value")]
>                 string Input_Gateway);
>

>     [Description("Function to assign a VLAN ID to BMC."
>     "If the operation of setting the VLAN ID succeeds, return 0"
>     "If IPMI command fails , return 1"
>     "If the provided input is not a valid VLAN ID, return 2"
>     )]
>     uint32 set_VLAN(
>                 [IN, Description("Set the VLAN ID of BMC NIC to this input value")]
>                 string Input_Vlan
>                 );
>
>     string Manufacturer_ID;
>
>     string Manufacturer;
>
>     string Model;

This could be rolled up into IdentifyingDescriptions of
CIM_LogicalDevice.

>     string firmware_version;
>
>     string IPMI_Version;

Move the properities up in the mof file, functions usually come last.

IPMI_Version seems odd, not all BMCs support IPMI. How to indicate
supported protocols ?

>     [Description("Some servers have dedicated NIC attached to BMC, some share a LOM used for host n/w communications. This function will let the user determine which is the case."
>     "dedicated: will let the user know that BMC is using a dedicated NIC"
>     "A response like LOM1 will let the user know that BMC is sharing LOM1 of the server with the OS."
>     )]
>     string get_active_nic();
>

> };

Klaus
Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany