A provider for publishing Management Controller (Service Processor) information

Russell Doty rdoty at redhat.com
Fri Nov 15 17:50:04 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-11-15 at 18:29 +0100, Klaus Kaempf wrote:
> * Praveen_Paladugu at Dell.com <Praveen_Paladugu at Dell.com> [Nov 14. 2013 20:17]:
> > Incorporating Russ's inputs and some updates. Here is the udpated version of the MOF file.
>
> Find my Comments embedded.
>

> > [Description("Model an Out of Band Management Controller and capture its features and capabilities")]
> > class LMI_BMC : CIM_ManagementController
> > {
> >
> >     [Description("This variable, should always capture the latest IP address of BMC.")]
> >     string IPAddress;
>
> Please indicate the IP version. Maybe we need two IP address
> properties ?
>      string IP4Address;
>      string IP6Address;
Good point.

> Same for set_IPAddress ;-)
>

> >     [Description("The VLAN setting on the BMC NIC port.")]
> >     string VLAN;
> >
> >     [Description("The MAC address of the BMC.")]
> >     string PermanentMACAddress;
> >
> >     string BMC_URL;
>
> All properties should have a description.
>

> >     [Description("Function to assign a new IP address to BMC."
> >     "If the operation of setting the IP Address succeeds, return 0"
> >     "If IPMI command fails , return 1"
> >     "If the provided input is not a valid IP address, return 2"
> >     )]
> >     uint32  set_IPAddress(
> >                 [IN, Description ("Set the IP address of the BMC, to the input value")]
> >                 string Input_IP,
> >                 [IN, Description ("Set the netmask to this input value")]
> >                 string Input_Netmask,
> >                 [IN, Description ("Set the gateway on BMC to this input value")]
> >                 string Input_Gateway);
> >

> >     [Description("Function to assign a VLAN ID to BMC."
> >     "If the operation of setting the VLAN ID succeeds, return 0"
> >     "If IPMI command fails , return 1"
> >     "If the provided input is not a valid VLAN ID, return 2"
> >     )]
> >     uint32 set_VLAN(
> >                 [IN, Description("Set the VLAN ID of BMC NIC to this input value")]
> >                 string Input_Vlan
> >                 );
> >
> >     string Manufacturer_ID;
> >
> >     string Manufacturer;
> >
> >     string Model;
>
> This could be rolled up into IdentifyingDescriptions of
> CIM_LogicalDevice.
If the goal is to be able to parse the model, it would seem to be more
difficult if model were rolled up into IdentifyingDescriptions of
CIM_LogicalDevice.

Do we need a version for model, as well as firmware and ipmi?

> >     string firmware_version;
> >
> >     string IPMI_Version;
>
> Move the properities up in the mof file, functions usually come last.
>
> IPMI_Version seems odd, not all BMCs support IPMI. How to indicate
> supported protocols ?
This mof model is probably based on Dell BMCs. What do you suggest for
other BMCs?