[cobbler] Is it possible to have system object inherits the 'Template Files' value from that of a profile's?

James Cammarata jimi at sngx.net
Wed Nov 21 04:36:38 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 10:30 PM, Zack Perry <zack.perry at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> [...]
>>> If the nodes that use the same profile share the same
>>> 'Template Files' attribute, it seems to be more economical
>>> to define the value of the attribute once in the shared
>>> profile, rather than doing so system by system?
>>>
>>> Am I missing anything here?
>>
>> Does the system have a value of "<<inherit>>" for the template files,
>> or are you trying to blend entries in the profile and systems?
>
> No. Please see the following profile and system reports:

> The inheritance is there, but you must double-check it using
> cobbler system dumpvars

Oh ok, I hadn't gone through all that thoroughly so I assumed it
wasn't working. So it seems the issue is that the report isn't showing
the field properly if all it's doing is inheriting, the way
ksmeta/kopts* do.

> [root at cobbler ~]# cobbler system dumpvars --name=nb2|grep ^template
> template_files : /srv/cobbler/ub_hosts=/etc/hosts /srv/cobbler/ub_hostname=/etc/hostname /srv/cobbler/ub_static_interfaces=/etc/network/interfaces
> [...]
>
>> Currently, only ksmeta, kopts and kopts-post allow you to
>> blend things like that.
>
> Yes. The cobbler man page is very clear in this regard.
>

>> If that's what you're trying to do, open a feature request
>> on github.
>
> Once I have your comments back, I will file it as either a feature
> request or a combo of bug report + feature request.

And yeah, if they're still not blending it would be a feature request,
so go ahead and open that issue.