[cobbler] Is it possible to have system object inherits the 'Template Files' value from that of a profile's?

Zack Perry zack.perry at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 21 04:30:58 UTC 2012

Hi James,

[...]
>> If the nodes that use the same profile share the same
>> 'Template Files' attribute, it seems to be more economical
>> to define the value of the attribute once in the shared
>> profile, rather than doing so system by system?
>>
>> Am I missing anything here?
>
> Does the system have a value of "<<inherit>>" for the template files,
> or are you trying to blend entries in the profile and systems?

No. Please see the following profile and system reports:

[root at cobbler ~]# cobbler profile report --name=fedora17-ph-x86_64
Name                           : fedora17-ph-x86_64
TFTP Boot Files                : <<inherit>>
Comment                        :
DHCP Tag                       : <<inherit>>
Distribution                   : <<inherit>>
Enable gPXE?                   : 0
Enable PXE Menu?               : <<inherit>>
Fetchable Files                : <<inherit>>
Kernel Options                 : <<inherit>>
Kernel Options (Post Install)  : <<inherit>>
Kickstart                      : <<inherit>>
Kickstart Metadata             : <<inherit>>
Management Classes             : <<inherit>>
Management Parameters          : <<inherit>>
Name Servers                   : []
Name Servers Search Path       : []
Owners                         : ['admin']
Parent Profile                 : fedora17-x86_64
Proxy                          : ~
Red Hat Management Key         : <<inherit>>
Red Hat Management Server      : <<inherit>>
Repos                          : <<inherit>>
Server Override                : <<inherit>>
Template Files                 : {}
Virt Auto Boot                 : <<inherit>>
Virt Bridge                    : <<inherit>>
Virt CPUs                      : <<inherit>>
Virt Disk Driver Type          : <<inherit>>
Virt File Size(GB)             : <<inherit>>
Virt Path                      : <<inherit>>
Virt RAM (MB)                  : <<inherit>>
Virt Type                      : <<inherit>>

[root at cobbler ~]# cobbler system report --name=nb2
Name                           : nb2
TFTP Boot Files                : {}
Comment                        :
Enable gPXE?                   : 0
Fetchable Files                : {}
Gateway                        : 192.168.1.254
Hostname                       : nb2
Image                          :
IPv6 Autoconfiguration         : False
IPv6 Default Device            :
Kernel Options                 : {}
Kernel Options (Post Install)  : {}
Kickstart                      : <<inherit>>
Kickstart Metadata             : {}
LDAP Enabled                   : False
LDAP Management Type           : authconfig
Management Classes             : []
Management Parameters          : <<inherit>>
Monit Enabled                  : False
Name Servers                   : []
Name Servers Search Path       : []
Netboot Enabled                : True
Owners                         : ['admin']
Power Management Address       :
Power Management ID            :
Power Management Password      :
Power Management Type          : ipmitool
Power Management Username      :
Profile                        : fedora17-ph-x86_64
Proxy                          : <<inherit>>
Red Hat Management Key         : <<inherit>>
Red Hat Management Server      : <<inherit>>
Repos Enabled                  : False
Server Override                : <<inherit>>
Status                         : production
Template Files                 : {}
Virt Auto Boot                 : <<inherit>>
Virt CPUs                      : <<inherit>>
Virt Disk Driver Type          : <<inherit>>
Virt File Size(GB)             : <<inherit>>
Virt Path                      : <<inherit>>
Virt RAM (MB)                  : <<inherit>>
Virt Type                      : <<inherit>>
Interface =====                : em1
Bonding Opts                   :
Bridge Opts                    :
DHCP Tag                       :
DNS Name                       : nb2
Master Interface               :
Interface Type                 :
IP Address                     : 192.168.1.12
IPv6 Address                   :
IPv6 Default Gateway           :
IPv6 MTU                       :
IPv6 Secondaries               : []
IPv6 Static Routes             : []
MAC Address                    : e8:9a:8f:17:1b:eb
Management Interface           : False
MTU                            :
Subnet Mask                    : 255.255.255.0
Static                         : True
Static Routes                  : []
Virt Bridge                    :

The inheritance is there, but you must double-check it using
cobbler system dumpvars

[root at cobbler ~]# cobbler system dumpvars --name=nb2|grep ^template
template_files : /srv/cobbler/ub_hosts=/etc/hosts /srv/cobbler/ub_hostname=/etc/hostname /srv/cobbler/ub_static_interfaces=/etc/network/interfaces
[...]

> Currently, only ksmeta, kopts and kopts-post allow you to
> blend things like that.

Yes. The cobbler man page is very clear in this regard.

> If that's what you're trying to do, open a feature request
> on github.

Once I have your comments back, I will file it as either a feature
request or a combo of bug report + feature request.

Regards,

-- Zack