[cobbler] Cobbler 2.4.0, Ubuntu 12.04.1 64bit server == not using local repo?

Zack Perry zack.perry at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 13 22:27:50 UTC 2012

I need to correct myself:

(1) PXE booting Ubuntu does need to use the {linux, initrd.gz} in netboot subdirectory. I finally dug out enough Ubuntu documentation on Ubuntu Web site to confirm what we have learned from trials and errors.

(2) Once said pair is used, the three magic variables, $http_server:$http_port and $install_source_directory, work as anticipated.

So, James, there is no need to waste your time to double check these.  Apologies for the false alarm!

On the other hand, I still have a few other issues with my home lab setup (where dnsmasq acts as a proxy, not authoriative DHCP server), e.g.:

(a) d-i netcfg/get_hostname string $hostname doesn't take effect. Instead, the randomly assigned device name by 2Wire 3600HGV is used
(b) I am still struggling with the use of the last two snippets in the preseed file, i.e.

   [...]
   d-i preseed/late_command string chroot /target sh -c ' \
   $SNIPPET('download_config_files_deb')
   $SNIPPET('post_run_deb')
   '; \
   $SNIPPET('kickstart_done')

Despite what I set for the 'Template Files' and rendered seed file from cobbler system getks, none of the files got into the installed system.

I will simplfy it, do more tests after work, and see if I can find a clue...

Regards,

-- Zack