[cobbler] Cobbler 2.4.0, Ubuntu 12.04.1 64bit server == not using local repo?

Andrew Hamilton ahamilton55 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 22:44:21 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Zack Perry <zack.perry at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> I need to correct myself:
>
> (1) PXE booting Ubuntu does need to use the {linux, initrd.gz} in netboot
> subdirectory. I finally dug out enough Ubuntu documentation on Ubuntu Web
> site to confirm what we have learned from trials and errors.

This makes sense. Perhaps the Ubuntu distro import needs to be updated to
properly pull in the netboot kernel and ramdisk.

> (2) Once said pair is used, the three magic variables,
> $http_server:$http_port and $install_source_directory, work as anticipated.
>
> So, James, there is no need to waste your time to double check these.
>  Apologies for the false alarm!
>
> On the other hand, I still have a few other issues with my home lab setup
> (where dnsmasq acts as a proxy, not authoriative DHCP server), e.g.:
>
> (a) d-i netcfg/get_hostname string $hostname doesn't take effect. Instead,
> the randomly assigned device name by 2Wire 3600HGV is used

Unfortunately this is how Debian preseed currently works. See here:
http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/example-preseed.txt and search for
"hostname and domain names"

(b) I am still struggling with the use of the last two snippets in the
> preseed file, i.e.
>
>    [...]
>     d-i preseed/late_command string chroot /target sh -c ' \
>    $SNIPPET('download_config_files_deb')
>    $SNIPPET('post_run_deb')
>    '; \
>    $SNIPPET('kickstart_done')
>
> Despite what I set for the 'Template Files' and rendered seed file from
> cobbler system getks, none of the files got into the installed system.
>
> I will simplfy it, do more tests after work, and see if I can find a
> clue...

Try substituting the 'chroot /target' with 'in-target'. Also make sure that
there isn't a line break between the snippets or else they will be
interpreted as a new line. Some times it also helps to download a script
and place it in /target/tmp and then run in-target bash /tmp/<script.sh> so
then you don't need to worry about newlines. Also, all of your SNIPPET
entries should either be on a single line or have their newline characters
escaped prior to templateing. For example

 d-i preseed/late_command string chroot /target sh -c ' \
   $SNIPPET('download_config_files_deb') \
   $SNIPPET('post_run_deb') \
   '; \
   $SNIPPET('kickstart_done')

If you have access to the system while it is installing you can press
Alt-F2 and get a shell or Alt-F4 to get the logging console. With the shell
you can go to /var/log and look at the preseed file to see how it renders
on the system. It is also useful to sometimes "break" the preseed so that
the installation hangs at a certain point and run your snippets by hand to
see if you receive any errors.

Regards,

Andrew