[cobbler] Cobbler 2.4.0, Ubuntu 12.04.1 64bit server == not using local repo?

Zack Perry zack.perry at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 13 06:50:09 UTC 2012

I really need some help.  I have double-checked the cobbler system getks --name=nb1 output below using wget manually:

zackp at ws1:~$ cd /tmp
zackp at ws1:/tmp$ wget -nv http://192.168.1.3/cblr/svc/op/template/system/nb1/path/_etc_hosts.new
2012-11-12 22:34:10 URL:http://192.168.1.3/cblr/svc/op/template/system/nb1/path/_etc_hosts.new [295/295] -> "_etc_hosts.new" [1]
zackp at ws1:/tmp$ cat _etc_hosts.new
127.0.0.1	localhost
192.168.1.11	nb1

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
zackp at ws1:/tmp$ wget -nv http://192.168.1.3/cblr/svc/op/template/system/nb1/path/_etc_hostname.new
2012-11-12 22:34:35 URL:http://192.168.1.3/cblr/svc/op/template/system/nb1/path/_etc_hostname.new [4/4] -> "_etc_hostname.new" [1]
zackp at ws1:/tmp$ cat _etc_hostname.new
nb1
zackp at ws1:/tmp$ wget -nv http://192.168.1.3/cblr/svc/op/template/system/nb1/path/_etc_network_interfaces.new
2012-11-12 22:34:58 URL:http://192.168.1.3/cblr/svc/op/template/system/nb1/path/_etc_network_interfaces.new [531/531] -> "_etc_network_interfaces.new" [1]
zackp at ws1:/tmp$ cat _etc_network_interfaces.new

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.11
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.1.0
        broadcast 192.168.1.255
        gateway 192.168.1.254
        dns-nameservers 192.168.1.254

So, AFAICS, all three of them are reachable. The Cheetah template engine did its job correctly. I also believe that I followed the instructions in http://cobbler.github.com/manuals/2.2.3/5/3/1_-_Built-In_Configuration_Management.html literally.

What I would like to do is quite simple. Since the dnsmasq is not in its dhcp-authoritative mode, and the 2Wire 3600HGV is not intelligent, so I just want to copy over some templated files, and then use a script in the post_run_deb to overwrite the originals with these files with the .new ending.

But, in the newly installed test host nb1, I just can't find these files with .new ending. Is it because I misunderstood the /target and in-target somehow?

Really puzzled and would appreciated a hint or two.

Regards,

-- Zack
[...]
> d-i preseed/late_command string chroot /target sh -c ' \
> \
> mkdir -p `dirname /etc/hosts.new`; wget -nv http://192.168.1.3/cblr/svc/op/template/system/nb1/path/_etc_hosts.new
> --output-document=/etc/hosts.new; chmod 644 /etc/hosts.new;
> \
> mkdir -p `dirname /etc/hostname.new`; wget -nv http://192.168.1.3/cblr/svc/op/template/system/nb1/path/_etc_hostname.new
> --output-document=/etc/hostname.new; chmod 644
> /etc/hostname.new; \
> mkdir -p `dirname /etc/network/interfaces.new`; wget -nv http://192.168.1.3/cblr/svc/op/template/system/nb1/path/_etc_network_interfaces.new
> --output-document=/etc/network/interfaces.new; chmod 644
> /etc/network/interfaces.new; \
> /tmp/some_shell_script.sh; \
> '; \
[...]