[Beaker-devel] Automatically updating docs on beaker-project.org?

Dan Callaghan dcallagh at redhat.com
Thu Sep 26 23:34:12 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Nick Coghlan's message of 2013-09-26 16:54:45 +1000:
> Does the last RAM upgrade for beaker-project.org give it enough grunt to
> run a Sphinx docs build locally?
>
> It would be nice if we could just have cron jobs on there periodically
> updating the various docs* directories directly from git rather than
> having to do the git submodules dance to publish the website.
>
> master -> docs/
> develop -> docs-develop/
> release-0.15 -> docs-release-0.15/
> (etc...)
>
> If we didn't want the release docs autoupdating, then we could run those
> off tags rather than branches. If the server has the capacity now, it
> seems like it would be reasonably straightforward to set that up based
> on a data file committed to the main beaker-project.org repo and stop
> building from the git submodules.

Yes it has 1GB now, and even though Tomcat (Gerrit) has a tendency to
fill all available memory (in spite of the 512MB heap size limit!) there
is surely enough leeway to do Sphinx builds on there now.

I'm hesitant to automatically update the "real" docs/ although we are
already quite careful about not letting stuff onto master until it is
released so maybe it is fine. But there is an important benefit in
having those tracked in git (I mean the built product) because it lets
us see when a new release moves or renames a page in the docs so that we
can put appropriate redirects into the server config.

For the other branch docs we could certainly just replace those with
something built nightly from the tip of each branch and not commit the
built product to git.

--
Dan Callaghan <dcallagh at redhat.com>
Software Engineer, Infrastructure Engineering and Development