[Beaker-devel] Automatically updating docs on beaker-project.org?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Fri Sep 27 01:25:09 UTC 2013

On 09/27/2013 09:34 AM, Dan Callaghan wrote:
> Excerpts from Nick Coghlan's message of 2013-09-26 16:54:45 +1000:
>> Does the last RAM upgrade for beaker-project.org give it enough grunt to
>> run a Sphinx docs build locally?
>>
>> It would be nice if we could just have cron jobs on there periodically
>> updating the various docs* directories directly from git rather than
>> having to do the git submodules dance to publish the website.
>>
>> master -> docs/
>> develop -> docs-develop/
>> release-0.15 -> docs-release-0.15/
>> (etc...)
>>
>> If we didn't want the release docs autoupdating, then we could run those
>> off tags rather than branches. If the server has the capacity now, it
>> seems like it would be reasonably straightforward to set that up based
>> on a data file committed to the main beaker-project.org repo and stop
>> building from the git submodules.
>
> Yes it has 1GB now, and even though Tomcat (Gerrit) has a tendency to
> fill all available memory (in spite of the 512MB heap size limit!) there
> is surely enough leeway to do Sphinx builds on there now.
>
> I'm hesitant to automatically update the "real" docs/ although we are
> already quite careful about not letting stuff onto master until it is
> released so maybe it is fine. But there is an important benefit in
> having those tracked in git (I mean the built product) because it lets
> us see when a new release moves or renames a page in the docs so that we
> can put appropriate redirects into the server config.
>
> For the other branch docs we could certainly just replace those with
> something built nightly from the tip of each branch and not commit the
> built product to git.

Sounds good to me - it was the ever-expanding list of releases to build
with "make" and "./publish.sh", as well as the submodule dance after
each new release that prompted the question, so even cutting back to
only tracking the released docs addresses all my concerns.

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Infrastructure Engineering & Development, Brisbane

Testing Solutions Team Lead
Beaker Development Lead (http://beaker-project.org/)