[Beaker-devel] Tweaking the merge criteria a bit

Dan Callaghan dcallagh at redhat.com
Tue Jul 9 10:13:26 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Nick Coghlan's message of 2013-07-01 18:54:33 +1000:
> Our test suite has an existing unit test/integration test split that I
> think we can use to make for saner merge criteria for Gerrit.
>
> Specifically, I think we can set the *must pass* level at:
>
> * all unit tests
> * the integration tests for components being altered
>
> Whether to require the full integration test suite before granting +1
> Verified is then a judgement call on the part of the developer
> responsible for the patch. If the change *only* altered integration
> tests, without adding new unit tests, then that's a sign a full test run
> may be needed (or else more unit tests).

+1 from me. Ultimately "Verified" is just a promise that the develop has
taken reasonable measures to make sure the patch works right.

> Something we should also consider is adding dependencies on unittest2
> (for RHEL) and mock (for both RHEL and Fedora). mock greatly simplifies
> the task of writing good unit tests (by letting you stub out things you
> don't have available, like the database), while unittest2 improves the
> available set of assertions so you can get improved error reporting from
> the test suite (you get some of that automatically just by running on
> 2.7, but other aspects require changes that will break on Python 2.6).

+1 to this. Let's just start using it. python-mock was already built in
eng-rhel-6 by you Nick, I have just built python-unittest2 also.

--
Dan Callaghan <dcallagh at redhat.com>
Software Engineer, Infrastructure Engineering and Development