[Beaker-devel] Tweaking the merge criteria a bit

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Mon Jul 1 08:54:33 UTC 2013

Our test suite has an existing unit test/integration test split that I
think we can use to make for saner merge criteria for Gerrit.

Specifically, I think we can set the *must pass* level at:

* all unit tests
* the integration tests for components being altered

Whether to require the full integration test suite before granting +1
Verified is then a judgement call on the part of the developer
responsible for the patch. If the change *only* altered integration
tests, without adding new unit tests, then that's a sign a full test run
may be needed (or else more unit tests).

Something we should also consider is adding dependencies on unittest2
(for RHEL) and mock (for both RHEL and Fedora). mock greatly simplifies
the task of writing good unit tests (by letting you stub out things you
don't have available, like the database), while unittest2 improves the
available set of assertions so you can get improved error reporting from
the test suite (you get some of that automatically just by running on
2.7, but other aspects require changes that will break on Python 2.6).

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Infrastructure Engineering & Development, Brisbane

Testing Solutions Team Lead
Beaker Development Lead (http://beaker-project.org/)