On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 11:20:44AM +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
On 02/04/13 22:39, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 01:42:46PM +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
>>>With the AD provider you shouldn't be needing any of the options below.
>>>The AD provider should just default to them.
>>>Is there a reason you are using password binds and not GSSAPI?
>>OK, I have removed all the lines you suggested and getent stopped
>>working, examining /var/log/sssd/sssd_DOMAIN.log gives the reason:
>>(Tue Apr 2 12:52:55 2013) [sssd[be[DOMAIN]]] [resolve_srv_send]
>>(0x0400): SRV resolution of service 'AD'. Will use DNS discovery
>>(Tue Apr 2 12:52:55 2013) [sssd[be[DOMAIN]]] [resolve_srv_cont]
>>(0x0100): Searching for servers via SRV query '_ldap._tcp.DOMAIN'
>>(Tue Apr 2 12:52:55 2013) [sssd[be[DOMAIN]]] [resolv_getsrv_send]
>>(0x0100): Trying to resolve SRV record of '_ldap._tcp.DOMAIN'
>>(Tue Apr 2 12:52:55 2013) [sssd[be[DOMAIN]]]
>>[request_watch_destructor] (0x0400): Deleting request watch
>>(Tue Apr 2 12:52:55 2013) [sssd[be[DOMAIN]]] [resolve_srv_done]
>>(0x0020): SRV query failed: [Domain name not found]
>>(Tue Apr 2 12:52:55 2013) [sssd[be[DOMAIN]]] [fo_set_port_status]
>>(0x0100): Marking port 0 of server '(no name)' as 'not working'
>>(Tue Apr 2 12:52:55 2013) [sssd[be[DOMAIN]]] [set_srv_data_status]
>>(0x0100): Marking SRV lookup of service 'AD' as 'not resolved'
>>It is trying to look up the samba domain name instead of the the DNS
>>domain.name, re-adding the following line cures this:
>>dns_discovery_domain = domain.lan
>I see, this is interesting. Does the value of dns_discovery_domain
>differ from the value of ad_domain? If not, then I would consider it a
I must have misunderstood you, because I turned off 'ad_domain =
domain.lan'. I have now turned it back on again and turned off the
dns_discovery_domain line and it still works.
>>>I think there are two options:
>>>1) keep using the ID mapping and tailor the configuration of the ID
>>>mapper in the SSSD so that it generates the same output as the winbind
>>>mapper. We've done this before, it's not the nicest looking
>>>configuration, but it works.
>>What sssd ID mapping seems to do is, get the last part of the SID
>>and add a number to the front of it, is this correct? and if so
>>where does the number come from? and is this the way Windows does
>Correct, The first number is a hashed value of the domain part of the SID
>and the "last part of the SID" is usually called the RID.
>Can you check if setting ldap_idmap_autorid_compat to True would yield
>the same IDs as winbind does? (Sorry I don't have a box with winbind
>handy and I always forget the details).
I have tried it and no it wouldn't, with S3 winbind I got:
uid=21105(user) gid=20513(domain_users) groups=20513(domain_users)
With the line added into sssd.conf and winbind turned off, I now get:
uid=201105(user) gid=200513(domain_users) groups=200513(domain_users)
>>When you say 'the same output as the winbind mapper', which winbind
>>are you refering to, the winbind on the Samba 4 server or the
>>winbind on the Samba 3 client?
>Both actually. You really want to have the IDs consistent everywhere.
That is the problem, the built into samba4 winbind returns different
uid=3000016(DOMAIN\user) gid=100(users) groups=100(users)
>>>2) Switch to using POSIX IDs instead of mapping them from SIDs with both
>>>winbind and SSSD. All that should be needed on the SSSD side is set:
>>>ldap_id_mapping = False
>>>to sssd.conf and restart the SSSD (you might need to rm the cache as
>>>SSSD doesn't really handle UID/GID changes very well yet).
>>>On the winbind side, I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but I believe
>>>this could be done with "winbind nss info" configuration option.
>>The problem here is the use of winbind, I cannot get the idmap_ad
>>backend to work at all, and idmap_rid gives a different uid from the
>>Samba 4 server
>So which mapper does the S4 server use?
I do not know, I only know it is different from the S3 winbind.
>>> From where I am 1) sounds like easier to implement since all you'd be
>>>changing is sssd.conf
>>I am being to think that the way forward is to stop winbind on the
>>Samba 4 server and use sssd instead.
>That is a noble goal and one which we wanted to accomplish in the
>upcoming 1.10 release, but it was postponed to the next one:
>The Samba server seems to be leveraging an interface only winbind is
>able to serve at the moment to convert SIDs to GIDs on the server side.
>I don't know all the details, sorry, maybe on of the Samba developers
>lurking on this list would chime in.
I don't understand this, by removing the S4 winbind links on the
server and installing sssd 1.9.4, I appear to have got it to work,
I now have consistent uid's & gid's without any real effort.
I had a short chat with the Samba Red Hat maintainer Andreas Schneider
(CC-ed) and he advised against removing winbind from the server, too.
I'm sure he'll provide a more qualified answer than I can :-)