On 06/16/2017 07:34 AM, Benjamin Kircher wrote:
I have a Node.js 8 / npm 5 package in the works: Spec file, patches  and Copr repo
I took the 6.x package and worked from there. I just rebased some existing patches and
removed some that are not needed anymore because they were merged upstream. However I have
a build issue on EPEL 7 now that needs attention.
Anybody out there already done this? Anybody out there doing the same? Interested in
combining efforts? Am I wrong here? FWIW, I am not a packager... although I have one
package in the queue that needs sponsoring.
Yes, we already have a COPR for 8.x at
This is the semi-official in-development repository for the Node.js SIG in Fedora.
There are plans for this to be built in Rawhide in the near future (Zuzana
Svetlikova will be sending out an announcement soon).
We don't have it built for EPEL 7 yet, so if you want to help with that, this
might be helpful. That being said, we'll probably need to discuss what our plan
will be for EPEL inclusion. I think the original plan was that EPEL would remain
on the previous LTS release until it got close to EOL, but we can revisit that.
We probably should look at adding the EPEL 7 build to this official COPR though.
Can you send some more information on the EPEL 7 build issue? (Ideally, a
complete mock log would be best).
If the issue is related to the OpenSSL 1.0.1 compatibility patch, it may be
worth just waiting to work on EPEL 7 until RHEL/CentOS 7.4 are released, because
the 7.4 Beta includes an upgrade to OpenSSL 1.0.2. Then we can just drop those
Oh, ok. I just spotted the error in your COPR build. Looks like Node.js 8.x
requires at least version 55 of the 'icu' package, but RHEL/CentOS 7 only
includes version 50 (same is true for RHEL Beta 7.4).
So I guess we have two options for EPEL 7 support: we can either disable icu
support or we can switch to using Node.js's built-in 'small-icu'
Given that we really don't want to regress our i18n implementation, I guess that
means bundling the 'small-icu' approach until such time as RHEL 7 updates to
version 55 or later.
Benjamin, could you take a look at the specfile inside
that Zuzana built and see if you can come up with a patch to support building
against the 'small-icu' there?