FWIW: Current OpenStack status

Jason Guiditta jguiditt at redhat.com
Tue Apr 24 16:56:49 UTC 2012

On 24/04/12 11:44 +0200, Mo Morsi wrote:
>On 04/23/2012 11:11 PM, Matt Wagner wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to investigate further, but I think I'm fairly far afield from
>> my stated objective of investigating the viability of importing images.
>> It may be that I'm just around the bend from getting it working, but I'm
>> starting to think that the conclusion here is that, in its present form,
>> the answer to the task is "Not very viable at the moment." I'd be happy
>> to carry on, but only if people think it's a worthwhile endeavor before
>> Factory adds support for building for OpenStack.
>>

>IMO it seems worthwhile to continue moving towards adding support for
>OpenStack in whatever manner we can as that'd be a great feature to use
>to demonstrate Aeolus' capabilities.

Agree that we should keep pushing on this, and it seems to me
solidifying deltacloud support (sounds like some bugs there) and
adding proper credentials for the provider type should be the first
targets.  It may be that the latter issue could be solved by
querying the dc api for a given openstack provider to find out what
the supported/expected credentials are for that specific provider,
since they may vary between openstack versions.  If this does not
currently exist in deltacloud, I think we have a feature request, as
that is within deltacloud's purvue of abstracting away the
differences and/or making needed differences discoverable (at least it
seems so, imo).

I may be remembering wrong, but I could have sworn marios
told me that the key/secret auth was actually the older one, and has
been supported for some time, with keystone being the newer less
tested addition. CC'ing him for the correct answer.

>Going forward we are working to make the image management bits conductor
>pluggable so we can swap things in and out. AFAIK it looks like
>boxgrinder supports building images for openstack so we should be able
>to use that for that scenario until imagefactory supports openstack (at
>which point we can just enable the flag to swap that back in)
>
>  -Mo

This point I have to disagree with.  While we _are_ in the process of
making our factory interaction into a rails engine, that does not
imply any plans to switch _away_ from factory, even temporarily.  In
factory v2, it will actually also serve some of the functionality that iwhd
currently provides us, so swapping it out entirely would be
detrimental to the whole stack.  In fact, factory _mostly_ has
openstack support already, from what I understand.  Iirc, there has
been a working rackspace impl for quite some time, even though we have
not consumed it from conductor.  CC'ing Ian and Steve so they can
clarify where that stands, and if they have any time/plans to look at
it, or need some help from the community if that is a desired feature.
 From what I recall there were an unknown number of 'tweaks' needed to
deal with generic openstack vs rackspace specifically (perhaps unknown
only to me).

-j