[SSSD] New AD provider howto

Pavel Březina pbrezina at redhat.com
Fri Apr 11 11:11:40 UTC 2014

On 04/10/2014 04:20 PM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> our current HOWTO[1] on connecting SSSD to an AD DC is outdated,
> mostly because the page still only introduces the LDAP provider. Recently, me,
> Sumit and Jeremy Agee wrote a new page that specifically advises to use
> the AD provider and also use realmd for setup:
> https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/Configuring_sssd_with_ad_server
>
> We started a new page and kept the old one around mostly because pre-1.9
> versions still need the LDAP provider info.
>
> I'd like to get some review and feedback from our community so we can
> link the wiki page from the front page or the documentation section. In
> addition to the lists, I also CC-ed the individual contributors to the
> original page directly..I hope that's fine.
>
> Thank you for your comments.
>
> [1]
> https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/Configuring%20sssd%20to%20authenticate%20with%20a%20Windows%202008%20Domain%20Server

Hi,
nice article. I have just few nitpicks to sssd.conf.

> [sssd]
> config_file_version = 2
> domains = ad.example.com
> services = nss, pam
>
> [domain/ad.example.com]
> # Uncomment if you need offline logins
> # cache_credentials = true
>
> id_provider = ad
> auth_provider = ad
> access_provider = ad

I think presenting a minimal configuration would be better, ie removing
auth and access providers since they are inherited from id.

> # Uncomment if service discovery is not working
> # ad_server = server.ad.example.com
>
> # Uncomment if you want to use POSIX UIDs and GIDs
> # ldap_id_mapping = False

IMHO this description is a little bit misleading. Since you use UIDs and
GIDs event it id mapping is turned on. It should say "if you have UIDs
and GIDs set on AD side" or something similar.