[SSSD] Announcing SSSD 1.10.0 Beta 2

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Mon Jun 17 17:39:46 UTC 2013

On 06/17/2013 11:13 AM, steve wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-06-17 at 07:58 -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>> On Mon 17 Jun 2013 07:54:58 AM EDT, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>>>
>>> Upstream considers the "definitive" build to be the one we use
>>> for Fedora, since we're certain that it matches the Filesystem
>>> Hierarchy Standard. SSSD will *never* work with just
>>> "./configure" with no flags because we always need to be able
>>> to specify where the nsswitch and PAM modules need to live
>>> because they're different on different platforms, even
>>> different architectures of the same OS. In Fedora, they need to
>>> be in /lib and /lib/security for i686 vs. /lib64
>>> and/lib64/security on x86_64. There's no way to cleanly
>>> autodetect this, so it must always be specified manually.
>>>

>> Thinking about this a little further, it might make sense to
>> just default --with-nsslibdir to /lib and --with-pamlibdir to
>> /lib/security. If I remember correctly, Debian always uses /lib
>> for the primary arch. I'm not sure how OpenSUSE does it, but
>> maybe Steve can enlighten me.
>
> openSUSE is like Fedora. /lib and /lib/security. Ubuntu uses
> /lib/i386-linux-gnu and /lib/i386-linux-gun/security. The latter
> also has a nasty symlink at
> /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ldb/modules/ldb/samba which needs to be
> removed before sssd will fire up.
>>
>> I suspect that just defaulting to /lib would work for a
>> reasonably-significant number of cases (especially given that
>> the recommended way to build for Fedora is with either the
>> contrib macros or 'make rpms').
>
> I don't think there are many of us using the tarball betas as most
> will wait for the rpm/deb fir their distro. We were keen to get
> involved for the dynamic dns to a Samba4 AD.
>
> sssd from source on anything other than Fedora is a nightmare. Most
> of what we had to do by trial and error is documented here:
> http://linuxcostablanca.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/sssd-build-on-opensuse.html
>
>  A big thanks for the sssd guys here for helping us to get this
> far. We now have dynamic dns going against our AD. We've found
> beta2 bulletproof so far. We aim to go into production with 1.10.0
> Cheers

SSSD upstream would be happy to incorporate OpenSUSE builds into the
upstream "contrib" directory. There is a very old spec file for SUSE
in contrib/suse, but it was abandoned back in 2010. If you wanted to
modernize it (and hopefully keep it roughly in-sync with Fedora's
example spec), I could modify our Makefile.am so that 'make rpms'
would be smart enough to select that specfile. That would probably
yield the best results for the build-from-source types out there.