[SSSD] DEBUG macro refactoring v3

Nikolai Kondrashov Nikolai.Kondrashov at redhat.com
Wed Dec 25 00:10:20 UTC 2013

On 12/23/2013 01:42 PM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 11:23:58AM +0200, Nikolai Kondrashov wrote:
>>
>>      1. There are 2273 uses of the old levels, *half* of all DEBUG macro
>>         invocations, so updating them on occasion will take a *long* time.
>>      2. Code is more often read than written (modified), and all this time
>>         developers will be reading code using obscure numeric literals, which
>>         take additional mental hop (effort) to comprehend.
>>      3. Spotting incorrect debug level will be easier with symbolic levels
>>         instead of numeric ones and thus they're more likely to be corrected.
>
> Sorry, I disagree about 2) and 3). Maybe it's just how I work, but I've
> trained myself to convert any numeric constants I see in the code and
> just skip the SSSDBG_ unless I'm also touching the DEBUG macro for other
> reasons.

The new debug levels were introduced at the beginning of August 2011
(a32ae272). That makes it about 2.5 years ago. Even assuming update progress
is linear (which it isn't), it will take 2.5 years more to update the other
half. That means 2.5 years of reading code with extra effort for developers.
Although, admittedly, the less old code there is, the less effort there will
be (but that is not linear as well).

Sincerely,
Nick