[SSSD] debbuging, how to turn off cache

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Tue Apr 16 15:39:35 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 05:21:35PM +0200, steve wrote:
> On 04/16/2013 05:17 PM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> >On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:44:08AM +0200, steve wrote:
> >>Hi
> >>Thanks for the syntax. It works perfectly now. Good advice about the
> >>brutal technique too.
> >>
> >>I'm actually trying to debug a bash script which runs getent passwd
> >><user>. On Ubuntu it seems that getent is run in a different process
> >>as it returns nothing. The same script on openSUSE returns as
> >>expected. I know it's OT but any ideas how to get output from getent
> >>in an Ubuntu bash script?
> >>Cheers,
> >>Steve
> >This really shouldn't matter, does getent on Ubuntu works fine without
> >bash script?
> Yes, it's fine outside the script. It's just that the script sets
> permissions on some files to the new user. We have to use his
> numeric gidNumber because his username is not available to use as
> such (as getent shows)

The only file getent should care about is nsswitch.conf

Does the script run as that particular user?

Also, I think Ubuntu runs a different shell, maybe that would make a
difference in a script.

The other things to try would be stracing the getent to see if the
getent actually reaches the SSSD and checking the sssd_nss logs to
reference the lookup.