[SSSD] Fate of ding-libs branches

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Wed Mar 7 00:14:51 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 18:55 -0500, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 03/06/2012 03:52 PM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > The ding-libs development on master has been virtually stagnant for many
> > months now. Much of what is included on the master branch is
> > partially-completed concept work that was originally going to be done as
> > part of a nebulous 1.0 future.
> >
> > Given that the ding-libs 1.0 has been effectively abandoned (and that
> > the ding_libs-0-1 branch has been remarkably stable for a long time),
> > I'd like to recommend that we branch the current master off (perhaps
> > name it 'experimental') and then reset the master branch to be identical
> > to the current contents of ding_libs-0-1.

> I would not rush with it frankly but for a different reason. The
> libcollection is now being evaluated as a mean for doing internal
> implementation of the structured logging. I have couple patches for it
> that I need to polish and submit. I plan to do it in couple weeks.
> Until we sort out the fate and use of libcollection I do not think it
> makes sense to do the reorganization of otherwise stable tree.

Well, that's my point. The code in master is currently not stable. Some
of it is still work-in-progress for features that were never completed.
I'd rather see us make changes atop the known-stable tree and abandon
these ill-fated forays.

> Also we need to get someone continuing the work in this area and
> finish the work on the INI and bring it to the final release. There is
> not much left but should be enough for thesis. I can work with Jan on
> that.

I don't see how it's easier to base this off of a broken master than it
is off of a stable branch.