[SSSD] supportedControl and OpenLDAP

Ralf Haferkamp rhafer at suse.de
Wed Jul 13 07:52:41 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Dienstag 12 Juli 2011 20:24:21 Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 17:24 +0200, Ralf Haferkamp wrote:
> > reason not to use it. (e.g. I don't see a good reason for using
> > paged results with OpenLDAP by default).
>
> Ralf, could you elaborate on this specifically? I can't really come up
> with a situation where it's harmful to use paged results if they're
> available.
It's not harmful (other than that it might need a few more resource on
the server side). But it doesn't gain you anything when using OpenLDAP on
the server side.

> If the results don't exceed the page size (1000 records by
> default), then the operation is basically identical to an unpaged
> search. And if it DOES exceed the page size, not having paging support
> would end up with incomplete (and therefore untrusted) results.
OpenLDAP doesn't apply any different limits for searches using paged
results. So if the server is configured to only return 1000 result for a
normal search you will also only get 1000 entries at max for a paged
search (i.e. with a pagesize of 1000 you will only get one page and then
a SIZE_LIMIT_EXCEEDED error).

Ralf