[SSSD] fun with fc13, ldaps, uids

Bobby Krupczak rdk at krupczak.org
Wed May 26 15:12:07 UTC 2010

Hi!

(I subscribed to the list but am not receiving the email yet.  I'm
reading replies via the archive.)

>I'm guessing rdk has a UID < 1000. This is generally a bad idea for
>network accounts, as they're vulnerable to colliding with local
>accounts. It sounds like in your case you actually have control over
>the UID range, so it might be possible for you to change the UID.

>Otherwise, change the min_id setting in sssd.conf to something more
>appropriate for your environment. (We have that there to try to
>protect against network vs. local ID conflicts)

[root at columbia openldap]# id rdk
uid=6169(rdk) gid=100(users) groups=100(users),109(slide),110(www)

My account is old as the hills and so I've kept my uid.  I agree that
standardized numbering ranges is a very good thing.

What are the defaults for sssd for uid ranges?  I see were the options
can be set but dont know what msSFU30UidNumber is.

# ldap_user_uid_number = msSFU30UidNumber
# ldap_user_gid_number = msSFU30GidNumber

Thanks,

Bobby