A tool for support of SCAP content development

Wei N Chen (CENSUS/OIS FED) wei.n.chen at census.gov
Thu Jun 4 13:14:28 UTC 2015

* Can you describe most common problems that you have to face
  when you create the OVAL content?
-Lack of working knowledge of the OVAL schema.  The repetitiveness of the XML syntax.  (These problems are taken care of by SSG in a way)

* How do you usually solve these problems?
-Manually look up the OVAL schema for reference.  Lots of copying & pasting, or come up with other creative solutions.

* Can you tell me an example when did you run into issues with OVAL?
-Debugging OVAL may not get same results with different scanners (e.g. works in one scanner but not on another vendor's scanner due to case sensitivity).

* Imagine an ideal tool for an OVAL developer. What should it be
  able to do? What would be its features?
-I think you covered most of the desired features.  I would add the ability to map out dependencies (definition->test->object->state)

Will this be a cross-platform solution or exclusive to Linux?  You may want to cross post these questions over at oval-developer-list at list.mitre.org to get more feedback.

Thanks,

Wei Chen
Security Engineer