Celebrating 20 years of Red Hat Linux

Shawn Wells shawn at redhat.com
Fri Oct 31 16:38:12 UTC 2014

Today Red Hatters around the world are celebrating the twentieth
anniversary of the first release of Red Hat Linux, the Halloween
release, that set the stage for what has become RHEL:

http://red.ht/1tl2KYN

Wanted to say thank you to everyone in the community who has
participated in the OpenSCAP and SSG communities. Between the OpenSCAP
interpreter and SSG projects there has been ~100 individuals contribute
code across 8,113 patches and 1,639,072 lines of code [1][2]. OpenSCAP
established itself as the only open source, NIST certified interpreter.
The SSG project worked with government agencies, such as DISA FSO, NSA,
and NRO, to not only release their baselines, but incorporate them into
an open source project. RHEL now natively includes these tools and
content to natively support security baseline attestation and continuous
monitoring. It's been an amazing ride.

Back in 1998 I rode my /bicycle/ to purchase Red Hat Linux 5.2 (I was in
5th grade!), as my Windows desktop crapped out. I didn't actually know
what Linux was. All I knew was that I needed an operating system, and
that the Red Hat box had a cheaper sticker price than the Microsoft one.
After installing RHL I began exploring the Linux community, becoming
fascinated by it. The open source model fascinated me. As a kid I
imagined how amazing it'd be to someday work with the brightest minds
possible, to create technology that would be used all over the world, to
help make things better on a massive scale. Working with the OpenSCAP
and SSG communities has fulfilled that personal dream. I can't imagine
collaborating with a better group of people.

Sincerely, on behalf of Red Hat, and on behalf of myself, thank you to
everyone who has participated in the communities. Everyone here has
touched technology that now ships in Linux. Take a second to reflect on
that -- it's an amazing accomplishment!

-Shawn

[1]
http://people.redhat.com/swells/gitstats/20141031-scap-security-guide/activity.html