Use of RHEV (UNCLASSIFIED)

Frank Caviggia fcaviggi at redhat.com
Thu Oct 30 22:44:08 UTC 2014

All,

IE is no longer a requirement (a Windows RHEV-M server was actually required in early 2.x versions of RHEV - a legacy of the Qumranet acquisition) - with RHEV 3.3+ both IE and Firefox (Linux, Windows) both work as the management interface - the standalone SPICE clients are the way to go as engineering is moving away from ActiveX support. RHEV includes the SPICE client on the install DVD and the Windows clients can be found under the installation:

    Virt Viewer for 32-bit Windows:

        RHEV 3.3 - https://[RHEV-M address]/ovirt-engine-files/spice/virt-viewer-x86.msi
        RHEV 3.4 - https://[RHEV-M address]/ovirt-engine/services/files/spice/virt-viewer-x86.msi

    Virt Viewer for 64-bit Windows:

        RHEV 3.3 - https://[RHEV-M address]/ovirt-engine-files/spice/virt-viewer-x86.msi
        RHEV 3.4 - https://[RHEV-M address]/ovirt-engine/services/files/spice/virt-viewer-x64.msi

I've been able to install the Windows SPICE client as a normal user, without additional administrative privileges, at my customer's site but I haven't tested it on other baselines.

As for other clients I've found for home experimentation:

    OS X:

        http://www.ovirt.org/SPICE_Remote-Viewer_on_OS_X

    Android:

        https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iiordanov.aSPICE&hl=en

With all that being said, KVM is really progressing as a hypervisor - I've done GPU passthrough with RHEL 7 and there is plenty of work headed forward - especially in the area of 3D graphics:

    My benchmarks using RHEL 7 KVM with Windows 8.1 Guest and nVIDIA Quadro K2000 (VT-d passthrough):

        http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/3746572

    Intel's work on GPU support:

        http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTgyMTE
        https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2014/05/02/intel-graphics-virtualization-update

There are some exciting times ahead for RHEV, and I know there will be growing pains, but RHEV is only one piece of the puzzle - Openstack, Docker, CloudForms, RHSS integration has our competitors (VMware, Microsoft, and others) scrambling to build proprietary vendor-specific solutions to compete with those technologies - none of them open source. In summary, VMware is easy solution for the short term, but the vendor lock-in and price and support contracts can add up especially as the landscape for virtualization and cloud computing changes...

Anyway, all of the above is just my opinion on things moving forward, hope this helps somebody.

Regards,

Frank Caviggia

--
Frank Caviggia