Scap for Centos

Andrew Gilmore agilmore2 at gmail.com
Thu May 22 22:40:50 UTC 2014

I expect a large portion of the current (non-paying!) CentOS community will
feel hijacked.

This is going rapidly off-topic, so skip this one if you desire!

I've installed both the RHEL 7 beta and RC1. I've liked what I've seen so
far, I just hope the churn in the program availability on the desktop is
kept up with to the point that I can use current multi-media tools. I'm not
hopeful.

Here's my current use of Linux: I admin two RHEL servers for work. I run
Fedora 20 in a laptop VM and at home on the desktop, as well as a CentOS 6
server. I attempted to run a couple of CentOS 6 desktops at home, but
failed miserably with multimedia and video-editing tools.

Since my recent bad experiences with Fedora 20, and hearing that Fedora is
for working on, not to actually work, I'm reconsidering what to run on the
desktop.

I almost installed Ubuntu the other day, because of their reputation to be
more stable than Fedora and more up-to-date than RHEL. I'd rather not, but
I may have to go there. Guess what I would then be recommending for the
next OS refresh at work?

I've been using Redhat since 5.2 (that's 1998). It's a bit depressing.