Rsyslog Permission Checks

Trevor Vaughan tvaughan at onyxpoint.com
Sat Aug 17 17:54:07 UTC 2013

This would definitely be a case where I'd use an external helper script.

>From the configs that I have, you only seem to care about:

$IncludeConfig .* <= Parse whatever this glob results in.

Anything that does not start with $[A-Z], ends a line, has spaces before
it, and has a slash in it.

IF the file referenced exists, then check the file for permissions.

That should at least get you to the 80% mark.

If you want to get fancy, you could point out things in /var/log (or all
base directories that you discover) that aren't referenced and have them be
automatically checked.

Trevor

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Kayse, Josh
<Joshua.Kayse at gtri.gatech.edu>wrote:

> >> I'm torn. The 'right way' would be regex ninja. However that's hard, and
> >> has resulted in nothing getting done. Personally I'd rather have
> >> *something* hard coded, then evolve into ninja regex.
> >
> > I don't know if it is even really an option, but I would personally like
> to see it always fail with something like a manual check rather than hard
> coding some things that will not necessarily reflect the real state of the
> system.  If you hard code fileA, fileB, and fileC and I also have fileD,
> you could potentially give a false Pass if fileD was 777.
> >
> > I think a regex is the only way that you could ever pass with some
> degree of confidence, but the rsyslog config file is SUPER hard.  I don't
> want to downplay anyone's regex skills, but rsyslog deals with some
> variables (like %HOSTNAME%, %syslogfacility%, etc) that can be used in the
> file path/name.  How could you ever be able to derive that?  I think any
> normal person would have a system where syslog sends things to a directory
> where other files should not be, but is it safe to assume?
> >
> > I could be negatively skewed here, but I personally would prefer to have
> a false failure or a manual check than a false pass.  The CISSP stuff beat
> that into my head with a rather large bat.  But I'm not the one doing the
> hard work here, you guys are.  Just my $0.02.
> >

> I would add my concurrence to this suggestion.  You can use an include dir
> in rsyslog such that the configuration is built up amongst multiple files;
> how would that be handled?
>
> -josh

Trevor Vaughan
Vice President, Onyx Point, Inc