No concept of a platform?

Heiko Braun ike.braun at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 7 20:05:36 UTC 2015

Guys, ay what point do you want to start thinking about a platform for all the bits and pieces you throw together? Possibly even a platform that supports coordinated multi-node deployments and operations?

How do you think is a bunch of EAR’s and WAR’s creating a coherent whole at the end?

I can understand that Wildfly might not be your first choice for achieving this. But we did great length to make sure some your basic requirements are covered. I still believe wildfly-core would offer a reasonable baseline for RHQ metrics and related projects. But it seems to me that you cannot or just don’t want to see the value in it.

If you have another proposal for a managed runtime, bring it up,  but please don’t tell me that your idea of a system architecture is limited to a servlet container.

The more developer-centric artefacts you create, the less likely it becomes to integrate as managed, secure and scalable system at the end. I know integration is the Cinderella of software development, but if you don’t account for it from the beginning it’s very unlikely to happen at the end.

RHQ metrics started on good grounds, with several reasonable approaches to things. But the project’s structure degrades the more things you slam onto it.

I hope this email creates room for another discussion. About the big picture, about the system architecture for RHQ metrics and integration options for projects like Wildfly that have been looking forward to it so far.

Regards, Heiko B.